Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Doctors with positive outlooks!

Yea, I know....it's funny! You don't get many of these. In fact, since Cameron was born, there have been a lot of times I have despised doctors and the comments they make in regards to Down Syndrome. Cameron had his 6 month follow up with Dr. Montgomery (neurodevelopmental pediatrician) today. This is a 45 minute drive away from home which includes ridiculous tunnel traffic but definitely a trip I would make if I had to ride a bike. This doctor is so positive about Cameron and other individuals with DS. He takes time to focus on all the areas where Cameron has progressed and he sees the potential of people with DS. After his evaluation, he commented on how well behaved and social Cameron is. He of course touched on the motor delays which we are all aware of, but he says Cameron has minimal delays in the cognitive areas.

It feels good to go to a doctor who sees the bright side of our kids. Someone who doesn't see the issues, rather the joy we find from Cameron. And it doesn't ever hurt to have a professional tell you as a parent that "you are doing all the right things". I think that is one of the things you always worry about being a parent, especially a parent of a child with special needs.

So we're good with this doc for 6 months, but I almost look forward to January so I can see him again and walk out of a doctor's office with a smile on my face rather than the urge to break into tears.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That is great! I only wish all doctors could provide encouragement!

Well, I also wish I could have seen Cameron in action on Saturday in his own element. Instead my girl decided that it was time to whine and leave the biker bash!

Kim said...

Yea, Cameron was a little overwhelmed Saturday. Loud music, tons of people and really scary beards. But he is great.And really progressing nicely.

site counters