Monday, July 20, 2009

Rylee Grace Strickland


Rylee Grace Strickland
July 18, 2009
10:13 pm
6lbs 15 oz.
Well she's finally here. After what seemed like a lifetime, my nine months is over and the finished product has arrived. On Saturday afternoon after many failed attempts of walking laps around the mall, I came home and got in my trusty recliner for a much needed nap. Robert insisted that we walk around the mall since the doctor had indicated on Thursday that I was 4 cm and the baby was way down and she would be coming any time now. Robert was concerned that he would leave for another week of work and miss his only daughter's birth. Miraculously, during my nap, my water broke. Of course, even though I've been saying I was ready, I wasn't. I spent the next ten minutes walking around my house naked from the waist down (my pants were soaked and I knew that if I put on new ones the same would happen) trying to figure out what I needed to take and who was gonna watch my kids. It was quite hilarious and Alek was pretty confused as to why I was doing this.
We arrived at the hospital right around 5 pm and was immediately admitted. My doc decided to start Pitocin since I wasn't contracting and the anesthesiologist was in to give me an epidural shortly thereafter before I had time to feel any real pain. Then the scare came. A little while into this, my blood pressure dropped dramatically therefore causing the baby's heart rate to do the same. The l&d nurse had me reposition several times frantically before calling in another nurse to help. They finally gave me some kind of injection which raised my pressure back up and helped the baby's heart rate as well. They said sometimes Pitocin does this. The drip was stopped and I was told that we would restart it in 1/2 hours. It didn't ever have to be restarted. Before they were able to do that I felt the need to push and after being checked by the doctor, I was told we were ready.
Funny enough, even though I've had two other kids, I wasn't ready. I guess it doesn't matter how many kids you have delivered, it is still scary. Since all three of my experiences in labor and delivery have been different, I didn't know what to expect. Three pushes later and she was here. My first and only little girl had arrived. She is tiny. Much smaller than I expected. But she is healthy and happy and all is well.
I will admit that I spent most of my hospital stay waiting for bad news. After this happens to you once, you always expect some type of grim diagnosis. Luckily for me, all is well.
We are all smitten with our new addition. Cameron says "baby hold you". It's sooo cute. And Alek had been holding her all day. Now we can't forget that his first reaction to his sister was to say, "she's ugly." LOL. Things are great now. I'm in some pain, not so much from the delivery, but more so from the permanent protection against any further pregnancies. I think now our family is complete and we are all here together this week....even Robert and I couldn't be happier.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just kind of stumbled onto your blog tonight. By way of Sarah, over at Class of 2008.
Congratulations on the newest member of the family. How wonderful!
I will be back to read more of your earlier posts and get to know you and your family.
Again, Congrat's!

ds.mama said...

Yay, congratulations. She is adorable!

Wendy said...

She is so adorable.... You did good Mama.

Beth said...

Ahh, the in-depth reporting I've been craving! FB just doesn't cut it!

Hope you are continuing to do well with recovery and acclimating yourselves to Riley!

(Kate thought the same thing as Alek regarding newborn babies, but she didn't tell me for a few years.) But clearly, Alek is so wrong--Riley is beautiful!

site counters