Sunday, February 21, 2010

Behavior Issues

So recently, I've been approached a couple times regarding parenting and disciplining a child with special needs. The people approaching were not making snide remarks, they were actually complimenting me on how well Cameron behaves. Cameron's speech therapist (whom I love) recently told me that she and Cam's other therapists think that I am great when it comes to Cameron and his behavior and they wished that more parents were this way. A week or so later, a parent (of a child with DS) approached me asking what I do that has been sucessful. First, let me give kudos to Cameron himself. He is a very easy going child and he is very intelligent. That being said, he also knows how to work people and is a master manipulator. And let's not forget he's 4. My approach is simple. I have always treated Cameron the same way I treated his older brother Alek. While Cameron does have special needs and sometimes lacks the understanding that say his typical peers would, he does understand right and wrong. I think too many times (and I have witnessed this) parents let their children with special needs misbehave because they feel sorry for them or think that they don't understand. This usually makes the issue worse and you end up with a child you cannot take out in public. (Again, I have seen this first hand). Cameron has the same rules as I would give any of my children. Simple. Be respectful, use your manners, and do as you are told. I'm not saying that Cameron always does as he is told, but usually once I make eye contact with him by getting on his level, I have no further problems. Occasionally when Cameron is feeling extra hard headed, I do have to use the time out spot. This is a spot in our hall way where Cameron is out of the loop of what is going on and being that he is so social, this is a real punishment. Typically after the time out is over, Cameron- on his own, will apologize and go on his way. While this works for us, I realize that it may not always be as simple as this for others. There are all kinds of variables, including dual diagnosis, that may make these things a little more difficult. The point of my post is that we spend a lot of time wanting people to treat our kids the same as they would any kid, yet as parents we don't always follow this advice. I think it's important to remember that when it comes to behavior, don't underestimate your child and their understanding of right and wrong. I assure you that they will quickly pick up on this and take advantage of it. That's all from Dr. Strickland today. Thanks for tuning in.

No comments:

site counters