Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting back on Track

So the last 6 months have been crazy. I had a baby, back surgery, Christmas, Cameron's surgery, and a death in the family. I have done my best to keep up with everything including work, Cameron's appointments and all the other family needs all while Robert is still working away from home and gone 5-6 days a week. What I have failed on is keeping up with Cameron's oral motor therapy. For those unbelievers out there, oral motor exercise has proved to be very beneficial. I can tell you firsthand that it makes a world of difference. Perhaps if I hadn't lapsed, I wouldn't notice the difference. Since I have not been doing it (bad mama) we have noticed a couple of things reappearing......drooling, jaw jutting and increased sensitivity in his mouth. I discussed these things with Cameron's speech therapist today and also his Occupational Therapist. They both agree that oral motor exercise is the key to this. And while I hate to admit it, it seems that my failure to keep up the routine has caused this backslide. Tonight we got out the trusty Talktools Toolbox and did the z-vibe, some stretching and some chewing. Cameron's favorite exercise tonight was definitely the horn blowing. Good thing Rylee is a sound sleeper! Hopefully getting back into the program will remedy these problems. If only there were 20 more hours in every day!

No comments:

site counters