Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Schools on

Yesterday was the first day of school. A day that I have been waiting for since late June...! We decided at our last IEP meeting for Cam that we would let him try to ride the bus. He had been asking to ride the bus and we knew with the new baby coming that transportation was going to be a little more difficult anyway. And of couse, Robert pushed for it cause he has no idea how much mother worries about her sweet baboo. We had all of our stuff ready and had already visited the class for open house. Cameron loves the new room and all the fancy toys. He waited very patiently for the bus to arrive (in the monsoon).
The dreaded time finally came. The bus pulled right up to the driveway to pick up my precious cargo. I dredged through the river that was flowing down the driveway and took my sweetness to the school bus. I fully expected him to cry even though he had been talking about it excitedly for days. WRONG. My boy didn't have one worry when I stepped off that bus.
What a ham. I had committed to going to work so I went back inside to get my stuff and good old nanny was in tears. Good grieft mom, I don't remember you crying when your own children went to school. So off we went to the school. (Had to reassure Nanny that her boy was ok) Ok and me too. I admit I was a little worried. I waited and waited in front of the school for Cameron's bus to arrive worrying the whole time if he was upset.
No worries at all. He was fine as the para in his class brings him off the bus. I elected to walk him in to his class since she had to wait for other students to arrive. We had brought his reverse walker with him to assure that he can get around the halls with ease.
Everyone of the staff seem to know Cameron from last year. We received so many warm greetings from different teachers and staff as we walked through the hall. Cameron repeating over and over "cook". He hasn't forgotten that lovely kitchen set up he saw at open house.
Once inside the class room, Cameron went right for the doll house. (His daddy is gonna be so proud)..! I told him bye and made my exit with very little interest from him while another little boy held tightly to his mom's neck. Cameron rode the bus home too and in his notebook we found a sweet note from the teacher telling us how well Cameron had done. That he had spent some time cooking and making new friends. His color of the week is red and his letter is L. He is very excited to go again tomorrow and I'm so glad that this is something that he enjoys and that the people teaching him enjoy him just as much.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That sweet baboo of yours is absolutely fabulous. I'm sure he is blowing off his color and letter of the week homework....he is so dang smart!

Kim said...

Funny enough, he has problems with the colors blue and red. Even though they were the first that he learned. He likes to just name random colors....he's pretty goofy

site counters