Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sleep Study take 2

As I mentioned before, Cameron was scheduled to have the inevitable sleep study. Being the tired mama that I am, I cancelled it because I just couldn't bear to deal with it last week. We have now rescheduled for October.....another Saturday night which thrills me to pieces. What a way to spend a Saturday night. So after mixed opinions from other parents, I wonder why in the world we even have to do this. So, I used the trusty internet to do some research.

First, I have found out that Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) occurs in about 50% of people with Down syndrome. Well it just so happens that Cameron has Down syndrome...how bout that. The symptoms include snoring and/or loud breathing. Cameron breathes like a 400 pound man. Mouth breathing, ummm yea and waking frequently during the night or restless sleep. Yep that's Cameron. Given this and the fact that Cameron's tonsils and adenoids are very large in his tiny airways, I wonder why in the world we must subject a 3 year old and his mom to spend the night in a hospital hooked up to numerous wires where we know he will not sleep, just to find out that maybe Cam would benefit from a T&A. Uh Duh. Keep in mind that I'm no doctor, and to be fair, this is the way that OSA is diagnosed. I just feel as though we should do the surgery and remove the T&A regardless considering they measure at a 3plus on a scale of 1-4. My thought is why wait? It will probably need to be done at some point anyhow. So why not remove the tonsils and adenoids and if problems still occur then we'll take the next step. Oh well, good thing I'm not a doctor......I'm just a know it all parent.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hannah's neurologist says it's more like 90% have OSA, and the other 10% just didn't get caught not breathing yet.

Am I repeating myself? I think I already told you that.

Sleep studies are just plain torture.

Kim said...

You may have told me that, but this ENT we see is a nutter. I'm sure Wendy has told you. I just dread having to do this and it seems so pointless

site counters