Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sleep Study

This week we had our follow up with the ENT. I so love these appointments. You wait an hour past your appointment time to see a nurse practioner and then another 30 minutes wait for the doctor to only repeat everything you've already told the nurse and nurse practioner. UGH. Anyhow. Last year the doc recommended that Cameron have a sleep study at age 3. We put that off because I was preggers and I was not sleeping at the hospital like that. (I was already mean enough) Now they are wanting him to have it done. Apparently, tonsils are measured on a scale of 1-4, 4 being obstructive and 1 being normal. Cameron is a 3 plus. So the doc wants him to have a sleep study to see if he has obstruction. OK. So I know I'm not a doc, but if we can see that the tonsils and adenoids are huge and obviously we know that Cameron makes a lot of noises in his breathing, why not just get them out. Why put a child and a mother through a sleep study when we all know dang well that he isn't going to sleep which is gonna result in an abnormal reading anyhow. Just so frustrating.

Later that night after the appointment I go into the boy's room to check on him and this is what I find. He is asleep. Feet are on the floor and head is on the bed. This is the first time I've seen him sleep like this, but he does sleep in very weird positions. LOL. I had to get the camera when I saw this. Luckily he was sound asleep and the flash didn't wake him, neither did me picking him up and putting him back in the bed.

So here's to a sleep study. Good luck studying this one's sleep. Good grief. Wish us luck. We have to go in on the 26th and I can hardly contain my excitement.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Oh yes. I know you've heard me complain about sleep studies!

Considering that nearly 90% of the Ds population has obstructive apnea, I think you'd have a good shot at just telling the doctor that you just want the T&A. They can do a sleep study afterwards to see if he has any residual apnea if they insist.

The sleep study is sheer craziness, but somehow Hannah always managed to get some sleep. Not Mom though. Before you go, read through my sleep study posts--there might be a tip or two that would help (especially with getting the gunk out of the hair). Wendy knows the Peninsula CHKD sleep study site pretty well, but we had to go to Norfolk to have Nan's. I love the sleep clinic here--I get a REAL bed too!

At least they could get him on the schedule quickly. Hannah had to wait 3 months to get her first one done.

Kim said...

What sucks is that they only give us parents a couch to sleep on....come on guys. I'd get more sleep here with Rylee but I know Bert cannot handle the sleep study. He would freak.

Wendy said...

I am still not sure why they call them sleep studies!!! Cause there isn't much sleeping going on! It took Carley a while to go to sleep then there was the tossing, turning and crazy positions (just like Cameron)which means we had to constantly fix her wires (and there is a lot of them. NN CHKD was nice in that we were the only ones in the hospital except for the janitor that constantly made the door open and shut by the sleep study room.. The nurse finally put an end to him! You won't be nearly as lucky as Beth and get a bed only and fine plush vinyl recliner bed....YUCK But not to worry your not going to sleep anyway at least not much! The tech was very good and patient Carley had a real problem with a lot of the wires so the tech waited until she was asleep to put the one on her face. It was neat to watch the computer and have her explain it to me... But really I found the whole thing a big inconvience since we had a T&A anyway.

When it came time for Macey we needed tubes and so I said if you were going to put her under for tubes lets do a T&A too. He then suggested the "sleep study" I asked him since she has fluid doesn't the removal of adenoids help with the draining he said yes. I told him hearing was important and the faster the better. Then I asked was there any benefit to leaving the tonsils vs having to go under at a later date. He said no... So I said lets get this process going skip the sleep study and we can do one later if we feel it is necessary but if we are going under lets do it all at once to better improve her hearing and language. Although our ENT is slow and I swear ADHD.... he really is a push over just act like you know it all and he comes around....
:-) Macey is a good canidate for the BAHA (hearing device) and I have a consult in a week that the audiologist set up but now our ENT really wants to have another ABR... They say they have some new technology that gives them more information as well as levels and different tones. I have agreed only because I think that having that information may better help with future technology and assisting with hearing for individuals. Mind you that is just my opinion not something that is really fact.

site counters